Thursday, August 14, 2014

A Day With: Raisa

More than just a talented singer/songwriter, Raisa first started singing when she was in the third grade, and since then, she already knew what she wanted to do in life: it has something to do with music. When it comes to melodies, for this sweet girl next door, it is the music itself that sparks her inspiration. Looking up to India Arie and Adele, she couldn't help but adapting their singing techniques and applying it to herself, only with a little bit of twist. Check out the interview after the jump.

When did you first start singing?
I started to sing when I was three, and the first time I performed on stage was when I was a third grader. Then it continued until I was in high school and sing with a band in school’s art performance. 

When you're on stage and performing, what do you have on your mind? Is the nervousness still up in the air?
Yeah. I even think that it’s fun when my heart goes boom whenever I’m going to perform. That’s the fun thing in singing and performing. When I didn’t feel nervous, I felt like I was just doing my job and that’s all. You got different sensation when you’re nervous. But my current nervous level is different than it was. As for now, I can take control of it. 

If you could sing any other genre than pop/jazz, what would it be?
Classical music, like half opera. 'Cause it's fun, the music is full of emotion.

What is your biggest inspiration in life?
My inspiration is basically the music itself. Since I haven’t got married yet and had no children, music is my only inspiration besides my family.

Who's your favorite singer/songwriter?
Brian McKninght, India Arie and Adele. For Indonesian singer, I like Tulus and Afgan.

We couldn't help but noticing that you're keen on fashion and its trend. Who's your role model?
Umm… I'm currently looking up to the style of many fashion bloggers including Emily Schuman of Cupcakes and Cashmere. The thing about her style - it is applicable in real life. If I seek fashion inspiration from the celebrities, I'll always be like, "No, I can never wear that."

What's the first thing you look for when you wake up in the morning?
My cellphone. I don't know, but I think everyone does the same, right?

What's that one thing in life that you can't live without?
My family, 'cause how can I live without my loving family? And of course my closest friends, they mean the world to me. And oh, my lovely cats! I have nine cats, so sneezing is like a common everyday thing.

Text by Lulu Nisrina
Photographs by Andra Alodita
Make Up by Marlene Hariman
Wardrobe by Cotton Ink

Raisa is wearing (top to bottom):
1. Offwhite Maxine 2. Off Duty Sweater, Teratai Skirt 3. Bien Top